The first-ever Winnipeg Girl Geek Dinner was a great success. About twenty people met at Aqua Books and had some animated conversations over supper in the EAT! Bistro. We then heard from our guest speaker, Coree Francisco from GirlOne Interactive, who gave a very informative talk on How to Make Money in Digital Media. When available, we will post a podcast of the presentation on the blog site.
The feedback from the group was very positive, and we are looking forward to our next event, which is set for March 12, 2010 at Aqua Books. So far, there are no speakers or topics arranged; please Contact Us if you would like to volunteer or have suggestions.
Based on feedback, some ideas for future topics include:
- tips for entrepreneurs and freelancers
- effective use of social media
- educational resources
- elements of good design
- show off your skills
- gaming night
- business models and case studies
- self-confidence in the field and when looking for work
Ways you can get involved:
- Become a speaker. We all have something to share, and it is a great way to gain exposure in the community. The event format is flexible; we can have several speakers in one night talking for a few minutes each, a panel-style discussion, or one speaker talking in-depth.
- Suggest ideas for future events. Let us know if you have ideas for future venues, speakers, topics, sponsors, or activities.
- Help get the word out. Tell your friends, colleagues, or classmates; remember that you can invite guys too (as long as we stick with a maximum of one guy to one girl ratio). Use your social media outlets to help get the word out to other Winnipeg geeks!
- Become a sponsor. Whether by offering a venue choice, products for door prizes, or money for expenditures, becoming a sponsor is a great way to expose your brand and support the tech community.
- Help with administration and event planning. Help with making blog posts to our site and other social media sites, improve the site design, or act as event facilitator at a future event.